Sunday, May 11, 2008

Trombone Sketch

I was listening to some ska music off youtube earlier today, and it inspired me to sketch a trombone. I would highly recommend checking out Alpha Boy School. I was thinking about a conditiom/skill that some have, where they see music as colours. Each tone represents a different colour. I even know someone who has this. It is called synesthesia. I wondered to myself... if i had to associate a colour with this ska music what colour would i use? I think i'd have given it a nice golden yellow... warm with touches of brown within it. This line of thought led me on until i decided it was time to try sketching my trombone.

I love the way a brass instrument hits and reflects the light. I find trombones to be especially beautiful, with their simple lines and smooth flow. Of coarse, this has nothing to do with the fact that i am biased towards trombones, being a player myself :).



I am so pleased with how this came out. I love the smoothness and the shading here. Very proud of this :). I am very happy that my sketching is progressing.

2 comments:

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

Great sketch. Thank you for dropping by my blog and for your kind and encouraging words. Happy creating!

Anonymous said...

Very wonderful indeed! Proportions and shading are great :) Deb