Saturday, October 09, 2010

Lapis neck piece

A couple months ago, I was browsing flickr and came accross a piece by Cindiesmithdesigns. I was totally inspired by the lovely, lovely shapes created the necklace, and knew I wanted to make something similar in some ways (with my own flare of course!). See inspiration point here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyndiesmithdesigns/3076304372/in/faves-meisterdalediane/


And here's the finished product! I added many design points of my own, including the entire pendant area and the rivets along the copper.


Here's the back part of the necklace. After rolling over the copper, I hooked in a link and linked it to some chunky chain. It then has a nice toggle closure.


This is the best photo for seeing the pendant. You can see the huge lapis lazuli cab i used on the copper. You can also see the rivet i did to close the filigree together (i later glued a small blue crystal on top, as this rivet was a little messy). You can also see the work i did linking together many jump rings to connect the pendant to the necklace.
Speaking of lapis, I really like the piece I picked up for this project. As you can see in the photo, it has lovely shine and sparkle to it... I can even kinda see my shadow on the surface! I got a pretty good deal on it (i think) from my favorite jewelry salesman. Only 3000 won! (about 3$). I didn't really get into buying stones until after I came here to Korea, but i think the prices are significantly lower here. Anyone else know about how much a 2 inch diameter cab of lapis lazuli would cost elsewhere?

Final photo! This total piece photo shows the work I did on the copper (all cut, filed, and textured by me). You can also see the rivets I put into the copper.
In all, this does not make a 'run out to the grocery store' necklace, but it does make an interesting statement piece. Nice with my little black dress, where it can really gobble up all the attention :)

3 comments:

cyndie said...

I'm thrilled that my design would inspire you to make such a lovely piece. I particularly love how you took such care to make sure it was not an "imitation" of the original design, but one that is truly your own, showing off your marvelous skills.It's a work of art and your special touches make it a very unique piece. I love it!

Cyndie

Pretty Things said...

Dale, that's absolutely gorgeous!

Diana said...

Wow this is simply stunning. I can see all of the work that went into this creation. You must be very pleased.
Tootles
Diana